Thursday, February 17, 2011

Dairy Free

Ok, I fudged just a bit...I should have said going "dairy less" as in eating less (much, much, much) less. I don't want to do it. I'm sad just thinking about all the ice cream and cereal I'm going to miss. But, little Miss does not like it when I eat dairy. In fact, it makes her downright miserable because it aggravates her reflux so bad.

She burp (lots of wet, face grimacing burps), she hiccups, she spits up more than I think humanly possible (think projectile), she does lots of gurgling, her poop gets all funny. *Sigh* I love my girly and hate to see her so miserable. She also doesn't appreciate the 10 outfit changes associated with all that spitup (we've got to work on that one-I'm grooming a "girly" girl here.)

I would have done it sooner, but it's taken me this long to really put the pieces together. And her $150 reflux meds don't hold a candle to what dairy does. I don't have to give it up all togther, but drastically have to cut back. Actually, the only thing I'm really holding onto is my coffee creamer....and probably a few baked goods that I know have butter in them. Goodbye cheeses, pizza, yogurt, milk, ice cream and anything that contains the stated above. I'll find you again in about 8 months.

Can you see my sad face? On the flip side, surely cutting out dairy will be good for my waistline, right? :)

Sort of related, I took Maryclaire to the Dr. on Tuesday because she's had a cold for almost 2 wks. She's been sneezy, coughing, runny nose, overall just congested. Her Dr. thinks her congestion is related to her reflux. I'm still trying to figure out that connection, but I really love and trust our pediatrician. So, we changed her meds and put her on an antibiotic for a sinus infection. Do you know what antibiotics do to an infants tummy? Oh my...poor baby! The new reflux meds (prevacid) do not seem to be working fabulously as of yet, but here's hoping they kick in soon because they were EXPENSIVE! And, I think I need to buy stock in Huggies.

1 comment:

  1. So we're on day four of no dairy at our house and guess who slept through the night?! 11-7! That's EIGHT hours and the first time she's ever done that!!! I'm wondering if it's all connected???

    Anyways, I'm glad you wrote about this when you went through it! It was SO SO hard for me to cut out dairy...then when I realized just how much dairy I eat I felt SO BAD because that's why EC had such bad gas/diapers/tummy problems :-( cue mommy guilt..had I just cut out dairy when we first had green diapers she would be all better now! Instead I tried all sorts of other things. Oh well, nothing I can do about that! I'm just hoping she continues to get better! I never thought I would look forward to changing her diapers just to see if they've turned back to yellow yet! HA! I don't think my husband minds though...I now insist on changing all poopy diapers so I can inspect them. Oh the things we Mommys do! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE Comments!