Saturday, May 14, 2011

For Hire

This is what kept me so busy this week.



My sweet friend Kelly had enough faith in me to let me make her son's first birthday cake...with pretty much a limitless budget. Wow! She designed the cake herself. It was too cute! I was a little overwhelmed when I saw what she wanted...I think she had more confidence in my abilities than I did! It was a HUGE challenge, but I think it turned out pretty well.


I started almost a week ahead of time gathering materials and making fondant. Through trail and error, I realized I needed gum paste to make those dog figures and not just pure fondant. BUT, the more I made figures, the better I got at it (imagine that!). I had to re-do a lot of things because I wasn't happy with them, but it was worth it.



I wish I could do this to supplement our income. It was hard work, even frustrating at times. Plus, I don't have the proper tools and that makes it a little more challenging and time consuming too. But, I felt so accomplished when I was done. I don't know too many people who would pay $100 for a cake like this. I know people do, but I don't know them!

If you would care to see more of the cakes I've done, click here.

2 comments:

  1. That looks great! I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill...that is amazing! I don't think I'd have the patience to do that. You did a fantastic job. You have the skills to do it...maybe you SHOULD look into it.

    Sophisticated Steps

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE Comments!